Skip to main content

Self Care

  If anyone has ever watched a cat for more than three seconds, you will know they are experts, nay, masters, at self care.

A term that has become a watchword for humans lately in that we all need more of it.

Well, I say, just watch a cat for awhile.

They nap when they need to nap - and there is no explanation or excuse.

Where there is a sunbeam - there is a perfect spot for a cat nap.

If there is a soft throw on the sofa or bed, thank you very much! 

They do seem to need a lot of sleep.

I read somewhere about 18 hours a day is needed in order that they can expend the energy to capture their dinner.

Not that they have to do that in these days of high domestication.

No, dinner is served - as is breakfast, lunch and snacks in between.

Only the highest quality of deliciously crafted meaty bits in a savoury gravy sauce.

And the most delicious dry bits offered as a constant throughout the day so they can eat when they wish.

Grooming is another area where cats take the cake regarding self care.

They say cleanliness is next to godliness, well, cats must be angels.

I have often seen a cat stop mid-stride to stop and groom a paw, a haunch, a tail.

Princess gives herself a complete bath while watching tv in the evenings.

Between naps of course.

Chester wipes his face clean with both paws after a messy drink of milk.

They even carry their fastidiousness to their toilet habits - digging deeply into the litter to make a deposit - and then covering it up so that they can't see it - and then cleaning their paws because, well, you know, they just walked into their bathroom.

I will include their propensity for play here as well, because that is so good for mental health and physical health too as it offers EXERCISE!

They take great care in that - Princess is always ready for a little ball to bat around, a springy play thing to take aim at.  She can self-occupy herself, even if no human is around to throw the ball for her.  

She will run up the stairs beside me, always beating me, even given her age.

She and Chester both sometimes have the "zoomies", running around for no apparent reason, up and down the hallway, skidding on the hardwood, just for the sake of it, escaping their own imaginary playmates.

And they have a sense of community and socialization - the two cats between each other, although it is more a tolerance than friendliness, and with us humans too.  They are constantly talking to us, being around us, being on us, with us, connecting on a very base level, seeking out our company.  Whoever said cats are solitary creatures was mistaken.

And those are all the so-called "secrets" for a long and happy human life too:  all parts of the self-care craze that is having a moment right now.

We should all eat well and have a good diet; we should all get enough sleep; keeping ourselves and our homes clean is paramount to being healthy; play is good too - because all work and no play, well, you know what that does; and community connections too, with neighbours, friends, coworkers, etc.

And the proof is in the pudding with the cats.

Princess is 18 this year; that is akin to a 90-year-old human; and Chester is 15.

Princess' two sons, Peanut and Ivan, passed away two years ago at the ages of 15.

Good long lives for cats.

(And yes, if you're doing the math, Princess was a teenaged mother, barely a year old when she had her litter of kittens.  Clearly a tomcat at the barn had his way with her.)

Studies of the Blue Zones, various parts of the world where people live to be 100 on a regular basis, show that all of these things can contribute to a good, long life.

And so, if we can't move to Sardinia or Loma Linda, we can take a page from the life of cats.

Keep it clean, nap without apology, eat well and on the regular, socialize and connect, and of course, play.


Popular posts from this blog

The Bird

 He fell out of the sky one day last summer, landing at the horse barn. A tiny, bright coloured green, yellow and blue budgie. He was caught and put in a pretty cage in the tack room. And there he stayed. For days. Weeks. Months. A tiny room with a closed door so the barn cat couldn't get in. A cage with only two perches, a water dish and a seed dish. The thought was that his owner would want him back. But despite repeated and numerous attempts to find an owner, none ever showed up to claim him. Perhaps he had escaped through an open window somewhere. Perhaps he was set free intentionally. They can be noisy. I brought him a few seed sticks, where he would get some enrichment having to chew away to get to those tasty treats. I brought him a couple of hanging toys, so he would have something to do and wouldn't be lonely. And then, November came. It turned cold. The heater in the tack room was on high, but it would sometimes get overheated and t...

The Mother Mode

  "Did you bring your gloves?" I found myself involuntarily asking my senior client the other day. "It's really windy out today - don't get blown away!" I then blurted out without thinking that they are a grown-assed adult and don't need to be reminded about that! Least of all from me! I have never had children and am not a birth mother. In my 20's I yearned for children, as one does when one's hormones are in peak form. However, by the time I hit 30, I came to my senses. I had a lovely little career in broadcasting going by that time and didn't want to put that on the shelf to have children. A choice I have never regretted to this day. My maternal instincts have been satisfied doting on numerous pets, however. And more recently, some long repressed motherly instincts are rearing their lovely heads, and I find myself turning into my mother. Something they say all women do, eventually. In a good way. And now, I find I...

Busy Be

 "You always look so busy!  What exactly do you do all day?" I was asked recently. I took it as a compliment. It was meant as one. The person asking was not meaning to be offensive; just curious and interested as to what I was doing to look so occupied all the time. As I began to rhyme off my daily activities, I realized it was a lot, and yet nothing of any real consequence, at the same time. Retired from my previous "full-time" occupations as broadcast journalist and then realtor, I now busy myself with a part-time gig as a companion caregiver for seniors.  That gets me out of the house for many hours of the week, and gets me out of my head as I focus on helping others. The rest of the time is filled with volunteering duties:  helping people exercise in their homes; editing a non-profit magazine; and showing up for a program that helps seniors. In between those duties, there is a household to manage, pets to care for, things to clean, laundry to wash,...