Skip to main content

The Supplement Shelf

  The bottles were piling up.

At the edge of the kitchen counter, the two cats, Princess and Chester, were gathering their own pharmacy.

There was a taurine supplement to help absorb protein; a glucosamine supplement for joint health; a fibre supplement to keep things moving; there was also a bottle of liquid laxative for Chester, who is coming off a constipational crisis that required a vet visit; a canister of Kitten Milk Replacement powder, also for Chester, who survives on very little else these days, and a treat jar for Princess, who has me trained to give her one every time I am in the kitchen and anywhere near that little counter space.

Is it becoming problematic?

Perhaps.

And although I have noticed that the cats supplemental area is increasing, spreading wider over the minimal countertop space, nearly infringing on the cutting board/meal prep area, encroaching onto the coffee mug holder stand and salt and pepper shakers, there is not much I can do about it.

A quick glance around the human areas reveal an ever growing expanse of supplements as well:  Vitamin D, multivitamins, magnesium, glucosamine chondroitin, iron, lutein, hyaluronic acid, collagen and of course, calcium.

Are we becoming a supplement obsessed household?  

It would seem to be so.

And can you blame us?

I think not.

The grocery store and drug store shelves, as well as flyers in the mail and the latest Costco magazine are chock full of all kinds of supplements, from super sleep formulas that help you fall asleep quickly and stay asleep longer, to turmeric tablets to egg shell membrane and zinc pills, digestive enzymes to reduce gas and bloating and omega 3 fish oil capsules for the heart and mind, and of course milk thistle soft-gels to support healthy liver function.

For any ailment or illness you may have, perceived or otherwise, there is a supplement for that.

Some are unpronouncable, like zeaxanthin, an anti-oxidant for the maintenance of good health; and ashwagandha, which helps increase resistance to stress. 

The all-natural way seems to be "the" way to go these days.

Forget chemicals and prescriptions and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories; a dose of plant based chondroitin will ease that arthritic pain in a week or two.

Forget the fact that the supplement industry is really not regulated in any way, shape or form, or held to account that what they promise on the bottle will indeed fix what's wrong with you.

It just feels good to know that perhaps we can take matters into our own hands with so-called natural formulas that may or may not work, depending on our level of belief.

Mind over matter, after all.

And for millennia, cultures around the world have always turned to nature for health, believing that all sorts of plants have strong medicinal purposes.

Some take it too far, in my opinion, harvesting bear bile and tiger blood and rhino horn and such.

I personally do believe very strongly that taking Vitamin D has helped me avoid getting really sick for a very long time.

Vitamin D is touted as very nearly a wonder vitamin that can help with everything from seasonal affective disorder to immunity to bones and teeth.

Supplements have become an industry that I am sure big pharmaceutical companies wish would go away.

But I strongly believe that supplements are here to stay.

There are entire "health food" stores devoted to nutritional and health supplements, and although they may have a "woo woo" vibe about them, to that I say enter at your own risk and proceed with caution.

For even though supplements may be deemed natural, too much of anything is never  good, and some may interact in a negative way with each other and our own bodies as well as the pharmaceuticals that we are taking for other health issues.

But for now, the humans in our household will continue to take their supplements, and of course the cats will have theirs too.

And I am happy to make room for all of these special potions and notions on our kitchen counter, and grateful for the quality of life that they help with for our cherished pets.

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Heart

 Oh Heart, dear Heart How still thou art When should you choose to leave The beat, no will The tremble, still And onst thou we bereave

Are Pets The New Luxury?

 My first little cat, the illustrious Magnum Opus, reached out his tiny paw from his cage at the SPCA in Montreal, and grabbed my jacket. I guess you could say he chose me. A little beige kitten, he was the cutest creature I had ever seen. I was looking for a cat to call my own. The year was 1985, and I was 23 years old. I had just visited my relatives in England, and gone to see the play "Cats" in London. It was a sign. I came home and immediately started looking for a feline companion. Having only had mice, fish, a lizard and a toad as pets when I was a child, he would be my first big responsibility as an adult pet owner. He would need a litter box, food, a bed, and lots of attention. I was ready. I bought him for a grand total of $25.  And that included bringing him back to be neutered when he was six months old. I can't remember if that was a lot of money at the time. But today, that won't even buy a bag of high end cat food. I took Mag

A Snail Space

  The hitchhiker arrived in the aquarium clinging for dear life to a plant I had bought at the pet store. I didn't see him at first; then, there he was. A small mollusk; a dark brown little slimy thing that I promptly dubbed Mr. Slimy. The tetra didn't seem to mind him; he could go about his business sucking up debris without being disturbed. It didn't take long until I noticed there was less iron buildup and residue on the walls of the aquarium. I didn't have to scrub it away weekly when I changed the water. The next time I bought some plants, I asked for some of the little snails. They are pests and they will multiply like crazy, warned the salesperson. How do snails multiply, I wondered. And then, all of a sudden, there were more and more tiny little snails. More than I had brought home. They were moving slowly, elegantly, gracefully around the tank. Some floated on the underside of the surface of the water!  How are they doing that? Then