Skip to main content

From Routines To Rituals

 


Who knew cleaning out the cat litter could be so cathartic.

Cleansing.

For both the cats and me.

Who would ever have thought that the seemingly mundane tasks of vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, could become something meditative, cerebral and revered.

It's all perspective.

I recently learned that by turning our so-called workaday routines into observed rituals, we can reinvent our entire beings.

We can become wholly immersed in the moment of doing whatever it is we have to do, and be transformed.

It is transformational indeed.

And it's all perspective.

How you look at things.

Perceive them.

Our entire attitude changes by how we look upon things.

By changing the perception of our mundane routines and thinking upon them as privileged rituals.

Rites of passage.

A privilege to be able to carry out.

Indeed.

Instead of dreading the routines of our daily lives and existences: walking the dog, weeding the garden, making dinner; thinking of them instead as honourable routines that the privilege of our lives allow us to carry out.

For indeed, we could be, and maybe some of us are, living in a country where we must walk several kilometres to get water from a well.

Instead, we have water at the turn of a tap.

We flush our waste with a flick of a handle.

We wash our clothes with the turn of a dial.

We heat our food with the press of a button.

We have nothing short of a miraculous existence.

Those before us could only imagine what the future may have held.

Cutting the grass is not a duty, but a privilege; for to have grass to cut means one has a bit of real estate, property, that one has stewardship over, the gift of caring for.

For those routines mean that we have earned some sort of reward in the ownership of things, be they big or small.

That we owe the duty and care to those things, and for that, we should all be so grateful.

Not entitled, not begrudging.

It could all be so much worse.

Imagine the countries that are being plagued with war and unrest and social injustice.

And be enamored by the freedom that we are allowed and can choose what we wish and wish not to do.

So, doing the dishes?  Thank you!

Taking out the garbage?  Thank you!

Cleaning the toilets!  Double thank you!

All our routines becoming rituals of gratitude - in that we are living in a place in the world where we have them to do - and are able to do them - of our own free will and choice.

Because in the end, having a choice is all that really matters.

Happy rituals!


Popular posts from this blog

Dear Heart

 Oh Heart, dear Heart How still thou art When should you choose to leave The beat, no will The tremble, still And onst thou we bereave

Are Pets The New Luxury?

 My first little cat, the illustrious Magnum Opus, reached out his tiny paw from his cage at the SPCA in Montreal, and grabbed my jacket. I guess you could say he chose me. A little beige kitten, he was the cutest creature I had ever seen. I was looking for a cat to call my own. The year was 1985, and I was 23 years old. I had just visited my relatives in England, and gone to see the play "Cats" in London. It was a sign. I came home and immediately started looking for a feline companion. Having only had mice, fish, a lizard and a toad as pets when I was a child, he would be my first big responsibility as an adult pet owner. He would need a litter box, food, a bed, and lots of attention. I was ready. I bought him for a grand total of $25.  And that included bringing him back to be neutered when he was six months old. I can't remember if that was a lot of money at the time. But today, that won't even buy a bag of high end cat food. I took Mag

A Snail Space

  The hitchhiker arrived in the aquarium clinging for dear life to a plant I had bought at the pet store. I didn't see him at first; then, there he was. A small mollusk; a dark brown little slimy thing that I promptly dubbed Mr. Slimy. The tetra didn't seem to mind him; he could go about his business sucking up debris without being disturbed. It didn't take long until I noticed there was less iron buildup and residue on the walls of the aquarium. I didn't have to scrub it away weekly when I changed the water. The next time I bought some plants, I asked for some of the little snails. They are pests and they will multiply like crazy, warned the salesperson. How do snails multiply, I wondered. And then, all of a sudden, there were more and more tiny little snails. More than I had brought home. They were moving slowly, elegantly, gracefully around the tank. Some floated on the underside of the surface of the water!  How are they doing that? Then