Skip to main content

From Routines To Rituals

 


Who knew cleaning out the cat litter could be so cathartic.

Cleansing.

For both the cats and me.

Who would ever have thought that the seemingly mundane tasks of vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, could become something meditative, cerebral and revered.

It's all perspective.

I recently learned that by turning our so-called workaday routines into observed rituals, we can reinvent our entire beings.

We can become wholly immersed in the moment of doing whatever it is we have to do, and be transformed.

It is transformational indeed.

And it's all perspective.

How you look at things.

Perceive them.

Our entire attitude changes by how we look upon things.

By changing the perception of our mundane routines and thinking upon them as privileged rituals.

Rites of passage.

A privilege to be able to carry out.

Indeed.

Instead of dreading the routines of our daily lives and existences: walking the dog, weeding the garden, making dinner; thinking of them instead as honourable routines that the privilege of our lives allow us to carry out.

For indeed, we could be, and maybe some of us are, living in a country where we must walk several kilometres to get water from a well.

Instead, we have water at the turn of a tap.

We flush our waste with a flick of a handle.

We wash our clothes with the turn of a dial.

We heat our food with the press of a button.

We have nothing short of a miraculous existence.

Those before us could only imagine what the future may have held.

Cutting the grass is not a duty, but a privilege; for to have grass to cut means one has a bit of real estate, property, that one has stewardship over, the gift of caring for.

For those routines mean that we have earned some sort of reward in the ownership of things, be they big or small.

That we owe the duty and care to those things, and for that, we should all be so grateful.

Not entitled, not begrudging.

It could all be so much worse.

Imagine the countries that are being plagued with war and unrest and social injustice.

And be enamored by the freedom that we are allowed and can choose what we wish and wish not to do.

So, doing the dishes?  Thank you!

Taking out the garbage?  Thank you!

Cleaning the toilets!  Double thank you!

All our routines becoming rituals of gratitude - in that we are living in a place in the world where we have them to do - and are able to do them - of our own free will and choice.

Because in the end, having a choice is all that really matters.

Happy rituals!


Popular posts from this blog

The Bird

 He fell out of the sky one day last summer, landing at the horse barn. A tiny, bright coloured green, yellow and blue budgie. He was caught and put in a pretty cage in the tack room. And there he stayed. For days. Weeks. Months. A tiny room with a closed door so the barn cat couldn't get in. A cage with only two perches, a water dish and a seed dish. The thought was that his owner would want him back. But despite repeated and numerous attempts to find an owner, none ever showed up to claim him. Perhaps he had escaped through an open window somewhere. Perhaps he was set free intentionally. They can be noisy. I brought him a few seed sticks, where he would get some enrichment having to chew away to get to those tasty treats. I brought him a couple of hanging toys, so he would have something to do and wouldn't be lonely. And then, November came. It turned cold. The heater in the tack room was on high, but it would sometimes get overheated and t...

The Mother Mode

  "Did you bring your gloves?" I found myself involuntarily asking my senior client the other day. "It's really windy out today - don't get blown away!" I then blurted out without thinking that they are a grown-assed adult and don't need to be reminded about that! Least of all from me! I have never had children and am not a birth mother. In my 20's I yearned for children, as one does when one's hormones are in peak form. However, by the time I hit 30, I came to my senses. I had a lovely little career in broadcasting going by that time and didn't want to put that on the shelf to have children. A choice I have never regretted to this day. My maternal instincts have been satisfied doting on numerous pets, however. And more recently, some long repressed motherly instincts are rearing their lovely heads, and I find myself turning into my mother. Something they say all women do, eventually. In a good way. And now, I find I...

Busy Be

 "You always look so busy!  What exactly do you do all day?" I was asked recently. I took it as a compliment. It was meant as one. The person asking was not meaning to be offensive; just curious and interested as to what I was doing to look so occupied all the time. As I began to rhyme off my daily activities, I realized it was a lot, and yet nothing of any real consequence, at the same time. Retired from my previous "full-time" occupations as broadcast journalist and then realtor, I now busy myself with a part-time gig as a companion caregiver for seniors.  That gets me out of the house for many hours of the week, and gets me out of my head as I focus on helping others. The rest of the time is filled with volunteering duties:  helping people exercise in their homes; editing a non-profit magazine; and showing up for a program that helps seniors. In between those duties, there is a household to manage, pets to care for, things to clean, laundry to wash,...