Skip to main content

Old Cheese

 There are some things that get better with age.

Fine wines, and old cheese, which are two of my most favourite things.

But this morning, I noticed my ankle felt like it was being stabbed as I was doing my daily yoga routine.

I have also recently noticed that my right hip feels like it is being testy with me; offering me slight pangs of pain at the slightest adverse position.

My vision seems to be lessening with each passing day; hence the increase to 2.0 in reading glasses today.

Sharon 2.0.

I guess that seems appropriate.

A newer, more recent version of my original self.

Not that that is a good thing.

At this age, anyways.

At the ripe young age of 61, I have a bit of an understanding of what may be ahead.

Today while at a seniors home visiting a friend, there was a notice on the door for a two bedroom apartment that had become available - to anyone 60+!

For a mere $2700 approx., one would have the privilege of living in such an establishment with "assistance as needed," be that meals (extra), or help with medications (no doubt extra), etc.

I thought, oh, that could be me!

60+ living in an assisted living arrangement / facility.

The gravity was not lost.

The fact that 60+ could be seen as an entry point to an assisted living arrangement seemed dire.

For some, it could be a god send.

But for others, myself included, it seemed foreboding.

A reminder that the end is not far off.

That each and every day, something will go wrong, perhaps, or something seem amiss, maybe.

And that our health and welfare is something that we should never, ever, ever take for granted.

The rest of our lives, however long we are blessed to have, should never be not considered.

Especially if we want quality over quantity; something I think is of utmost importance.

Quantity is always fabulous, and if we can have it, that is even more wonderful.

But quality is an ephemerous thing, and if that can be added to the mix, even better, for us and for everyone around us.

Whatever we can do, if there is anything above and beyond our own DNA, that can contribute to that lovely longevity with QUALITY, and by that I mean lucidness and mobility, then I am all for it.

And that begins with what we put INSIDE our bodies.

We are what we eat, after all.

And hopefully that is a lot of vegetables, fruit, whole grains, protein (but not TOO much meat), nuts and seeds, beans, dairy and some fat.

That is what I believe is the holy grail of wellness.

Daily exercise in the form of stretching, strength and muscle retention, and walking or aerobic activity, is part of that elusive puzzle to living a long, quality life.

Learning new things or trying something different is key to retaining our brain muscles, keeping things moving in the grey matter department, lest it waste away feeling it is unloved or unwanted.

Having a purpose is also a big deal, whether it be tending to a pet, a loved one, a cause, a job, volunteering, or just being needed in some capacity by something, someone, somewhere.

Being connected to humanity is another thing that is good for our mind, body and soul.  Even just chatting with the grocery store clerk, or making small talk with a person in the elevator, is good for us and can help us in leaps and bounds.

These are some of the non-negotiable things that I believe and feel will pave the way for a quality and hopefully quantiful existence.

They are some of the things that studies of the world's most longest lived people seem to adhere to.

A common thread that is found among them all, along with a few others such as having faith, and having a positive attitude!  Oh yes, there is that!

We can try to do our best to steer what remains outside of our inherent DNA towards a good life, whatever we have left of it.

To be optimistic and hope for a good outcome, along with practising some good common sense habits, can hopefully get us there.

As for me, I am grateful to not be inside a chalkline on the floor, each and every morning.

I will keep on keeping up the good fight, noting this and that of course as nature takes its ageful course.

But I will do whatever it takes to make whatever time is left a time of quality.

And hope that it translates to a lovely time of quantity as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Heart

 Oh Heart, dear Heart How still thou art When should you choose to leave The beat, no will The tremble, still And onst thou we bereave

Are Pets The New Luxury?

 My first little cat, the illustrious Magnum Opus, reached out his tiny paw from his cage at the SPCA in Montreal, and grabbed my jacket. I guess you could say he chose me. A little beige kitten, he was the cutest creature I had ever seen. I was looking for a cat to call my own. The year was 1985, and I was 23 years old. I had just visited my relatives in England, and gone to see the play "Cats" in London. It was a sign. I came home and immediately started looking for a feline companion. Having only had mice, fish, a lizard and a toad as pets when I was a child, he would be my first big responsibility as an adult pet owner. He would need a litter box, food, a bed, and lots of attention. I was ready. I bought him for a grand total of $25.  And that included bringing him back to be neutered when he was six months old. I can't remember if that was a lot of money at the time. But today, that won't even buy a bag of high end cat food. I took Mag

A Snail Space

  The hitchhiker arrived in the aquarium clinging for dear life to a plant I had bought at the pet store. I didn't see him at first; then, there he was. A small mollusk; a dark brown little slimy thing that I promptly dubbed Mr. Slimy. The tetra didn't seem to mind him; he could go about his business sucking up debris without being disturbed. It didn't take long until I noticed there was less iron buildup and residue on the walls of the aquarium. I didn't have to scrub it away weekly when I changed the water. The next time I bought some plants, I asked for some of the little snails. They are pests and they will multiply like crazy, warned the salesperson. How do snails multiply, I wondered. And then, all of a sudden, there were more and more tiny little snails. More than I had brought home. They were moving slowly, elegantly, gracefully around the tank. Some floated on the underside of the surface of the water!  How are they doing that? Then