Skip to main content

The Ant

  I was gazing out at the garden, when suddenly something caught my eye.

It was a bright little object moving amongst the wood chips.

A closer look revealed it was a lady bug.

A dead lady bug.

Being hauled over hill and dale by a rather large ant.

The ant would heave it up and forward over the rock.

Then pull it behind for a short distance, before heaving it forward again.

It was incredible.

The speed at which this ant was carrying his prize gave me pause.

I am not sure what a human equivalent would be.

A 200 pound man carrying an object considerably larger than himself, rapidly and without concern for the geography, hurried and anxious to present his prize to his queen.

Whatever the motivation may be, this ant was on a mission.

He traversed what may have been the equivalent of several hundred kilometres in human terms.

The terrain was of no consequence.

He was bringing home this prize.

Did he kill the lady bug or was it already dead?

No matter.

The protein she contained would sustain many baby ants or whatever ants have in their nests.

Where was this nest?

Or hill, if I recall my childhood science project.

I remember they were all the rage at one point.

A sand "ant hill" encased in glass so humans could observe the fantastic work ethic of the lowly ant.

This ant was a mighty mouse.  

The Hulk of ants.

I imagined his sinewy exoskeleton, tireless and breathless, not caring about his own fatigue.

Simply intent on bringing home the bacon.

Or lady bug, in this case.

The terrain, in ant terms, would be daunting to any human.

Scaling miniature Mount Everests, handily passing his burden from hand to hand, never letting go, never losing sight of his target:  home.

I lost sight of him somewhere under the ground cover.

By then, he had travelled several metres over incorrigible challenges:  flagstones, gravel, leaves.

And it got me to thinking, would a human be so relentless? So diligent and intent on a target, that the obstacles mattered not?

Some humans, yes.

Take those in high profile careers that only happened as a result of a dogged determination and relentless pursuit and desire.

It is perhaps a lesson for us all.

If we find ourselves faltering, hesitating, second guessing ourselves, we can maybe think of that ant.

That ant who was not taking no for an answer.

That ant who was not letting daunting obstacles slow it down.

That ant who was intent, driven, relentless in its goal of bringing home that prize.

What kind of DNA is that?

Clearly, something is ingrained in that insect so as to enable it to perform that task so.

Without question, without hesitation, without any thought to its own compromise.

I am sure that ant earned a well deserved nap after that.

If ants even have naps.

Perhaps they are similar to robots - and work until they expire.

Whatever the drive and desire - instinct - DNA - internal programming - I cannot stop thinking about it.

I hope it was well rewarded.

I hope its queen was well pleased.

I hope that ant got its just deserts; its due rewards.

Or perhaps it headed on out again to bring back the next meal.

The next prize.

With no thought to itself.

Only to the colony.

The greater good, and all that.

Service before self.

A good lesson to remember.


Popular posts from this blog

Dear Heart

 Oh Heart, dear Heart How still thou art When should you choose to leave The beat, no will The tremble, still And onst thou we bereave

Are Pets The New Luxury?

 My first little cat, the illustrious Magnum Opus, reached out his tiny paw from his cage at the SPCA in Montreal, and grabbed my jacket. I guess you could say he chose me. A little beige kitten, he was the cutest creature I had ever seen. I was looking for a cat to call my own. The year was 1985, and I was 23 years old. I had just visited my relatives in England, and gone to see the play "Cats" in London. It was a sign. I came home and immediately started looking for a feline companion. Having only had mice, fish, a lizard and a toad as pets when I was a child, he would be my first big responsibility as an adult pet owner. He would need a litter box, food, a bed, and lots of attention. I was ready. I bought him for a grand total of $25.  And that included bringing him back to be neutered when he was six months old. I can't remember if that was a lot of money at the time. But today, that won't even buy a bag of high end cat food. I took Mag

A Snail Space

  The hitchhiker arrived in the aquarium clinging for dear life to a plant I had bought at the pet store. I didn't see him at first; then, there he was. A small mollusk; a dark brown little slimy thing that I promptly dubbed Mr. Slimy. The tetra didn't seem to mind him; he could go about his business sucking up debris without being disturbed. It didn't take long until I noticed there was less iron buildup and residue on the walls of the aquarium. I didn't have to scrub it away weekly when I changed the water. The next time I bought some plants, I asked for some of the little snails. They are pests and they will multiply like crazy, warned the salesperson. How do snails multiply, I wondered. And then, all of a sudden, there were more and more tiny little snails. More than I had brought home. They were moving slowly, elegantly, gracefully around the tank. Some floated on the underside of the surface of the water!  How are they doing that? Then