Skip to main content

The Purge

        I love garbage day.

I mean I really, really love garbage day.

Perhaps more than a person should.

It would be fair to say I am obsessed with garbage day.

I count down the days until it arrives.

Looking forward to its ultimate arrival.

Every other Thursday.

I would say this obsession started when we moved to a municipality where garbage pickup is every other week.

What?!

Who can go two weeks without their garbage being picked up?

It seemed inhumane.

To expect us to hang on to our waste for two very long weeks.

Granted, recycling and compost is picked up every week.

And I guess the thought is that most waste is recyclable or compostable.

But it is amazing how that garbage can gets filled up so quickly.

By the time garbage day arrives, it is brimming.

Two large garbage bags or one can is the rule.

And it can't weigh more than 45 pounds.

There was a time when our garbage man refused to take our can because it was too heavy.

He slapped a big yellow sticker on it telling us so.

Hence, we now have an old set of weigh scales in the garage to make sure our can doesn't go over the limit.

Which is hard when you have cats because the used litter is quite heavy.

And which is difficult because we sometimes have things from around the house that we need to throw out.  A bi-weekly purge of things that we don't need anymore, don't use anymore, are taking up too much room and have become clutter, including clothing or old shoes that are un-donatable.

If there is too much to fit in the big plastic garbage can in the garage, you can purchase a garbage bag tag for $3 and place it beside the can.  Or you can take it to the landfill site yourself.  Which is an exhilarating experience, I must say.  So organized and efficient and expedient.  A place for everything and everything in its place.  Construction waste here, electronics there, plastics over there, garbage over yonder.  Incredible.

And now, every other week, I listen for the garbage truck and watch as the can is picked up each time.  It is nothing short of a miracle.  I always applaud.

And I give a silent "Thank You" that the handles on the plastic garbage can don't break, and the garbage person is burly enough to even lift it.  

A miracle unto itself.

I hope they have chiropractors on call.

I give a small hallelujah when he sets the empty can down, ever so gently, and places the lid beside it.

An empty can - we can start all over again.


Popular posts from this blog

The Bird

 He fell out of the sky one day last summer, landing at the horse barn. A tiny, bright coloured green, yellow and blue budgie. He was caught and put in a pretty cage in the tack room. And there he stayed. For days. Weeks. Months. A tiny room with a closed door so the barn cat couldn't get in. A cage with only two perches, a water dish and a seed dish. The thought was that his owner would want him back. But despite repeated and numerous attempts to find an owner, none ever showed up to claim him. Perhaps he had escaped through an open window somewhere. Perhaps he was set free intentionally. They can be noisy. I brought him a few seed sticks, where he would get some enrichment having to chew away to get to those tasty treats. I brought him a couple of hanging toys, so he would have something to do and wouldn't be lonely. And then, November came. It turned cold. The heater in the tack room was on high, but it would sometimes get overheated and t...

The Mother Mode

  "Did you bring your gloves?" I found myself involuntarily asking my senior client the other day. "It's really windy out today - don't get blown away!" I then blurted out without thinking that they are a grown-assed adult and don't need to be reminded about that! Least of all from me! I have never had children and am not a birth mother. In my 20's I yearned for children, as one does when one's hormones are in peak form. However, by the time I hit 30, I came to my senses. I had a lovely little career in broadcasting going by that time and didn't want to put that on the shelf to have children. A choice I have never regretted to this day. My maternal instincts have been satisfied doting on numerous pets, however. And more recently, some long repressed motherly instincts are rearing their lovely heads, and I find myself turning into my mother. Something they say all women do, eventually. In a good way. And now, I find I...

Busy Be

 "You always look so busy!  What exactly do you do all day?" I was asked recently. I took it as a compliment. It was meant as one. The person asking was not meaning to be offensive; just curious and interested as to what I was doing to look so occupied all the time. As I began to rhyme off my daily activities, I realized it was a lot, and yet nothing of any real consequence, at the same time. Retired from my previous "full-time" occupations as broadcast journalist and then realtor, I now busy myself with a part-time gig as a companion caregiver for seniors.  That gets me out of the house for many hours of the week, and gets me out of my head as I focus on helping others. The rest of the time is filled with volunteering duties:  helping people exercise in their homes; editing a non-profit magazine; and showing up for a program that helps seniors. In between those duties, there is a household to manage, pets to care for, things to clean, laundry to wash,...