Skip to main content

When Did We Stop Saying Thank You?

 When I was studying Journalism at Humber College, one of our assignments was to interview a long-time married couple to find out what made them stay together.

Our neighbours at the time, were the perfect subjects.

They were married shortly after World War II, and had come over to Canada from Germany.

They were the best neighbours one could have; always up for a chat over the fence; always offering some homemade German delicacies; always cheerful and happy.

When I sat down with them and asked them what made them stay together after so many years, the lady said, "We take each other for granted."

I was in shock.

Taken aback.

I thought the secret to a great relationship was the opposite:  NOT taking each other for granted.

And then she explained

You have to take it for granted that the other person will always be there.  

Always have your back.

Always offer company, comfort, solace, friendship, love.

Perhaps there is some truth to that.

But I still think it is a nice idea to not take the other for granted.

Lately, I have noticed in my own relationship, we seemed to have stopped saying "Thank You" to one another.

Taking it for granted that the other knows the other is grateful.

I don't think that is necessarily a good thing.

I like being appreciated - and I like the other person to know they are appreciated also.

I find myself not saying "Thank You" because something is being done for a greater good, not necessarily for me. 

And if I say "Thank You", it implies that something is being done for me - when it is not specifically for me, but for a bigger cause.

Does that make sense?

And I also have noticed we don't say ''Please'' when we ask for something, or even "Bless You" when the other sneezes.

I think we always used to do that.

Are we letting things slide?

Perhaps.  

Perhaps not.  

We ARE taking it for granted that the other person KNOWS we are grateful.

But is that alright?  

In a long term, long time relationship, can we expect the other to know that we appreciate them?  That we are grateful for them?  That we are at least mentally saying "Bless You" when the other one sneezes?

I remember a line from a movie, where actor Liam Neeson says, "When did we stop driving each other to the airport?"

That movie was about a marriage that was nearly on the rocks.

But they saved it just in time.

So, I think that while taking each other for granted may have worked for my long time married neighbours, it may not work so much for me.

There is something great about always expecting a person to be there, but I always think it is nice to be acknowledged and appreciated also.

So I, for one, will go back to saying "Thank You" and ''Bless You'' and ''Please'' as much as possible.  To let my significant other know he is appreciated and acknowledged.  Validated.

Because it makes ME feel good to let him know he is appreciated.

And perhaps by making that example, hopefully he will return the outward appreciation.

I know he IS grateful for me, and appreciates me.

But there is something to be said for actually saying it.

So, "Thank You."


Popular posts from this blog

Dear Heart

 Oh Heart, dear Heart How still thou art When should you choose to leave The beat, no will The tremble, still And onst thou we bereave

Are Pets The New Luxury?

 My first little cat, the illustrious Magnum Opus, reached out his tiny paw from his cage at the SPCA in Montreal, and grabbed my jacket. I guess you could say he chose me. A little beige kitten, he was the cutest creature I had ever seen. I was looking for a cat to call my own. The year was 1985, and I was 23 years old. I had just visited my relatives in England, and gone to see the play "Cats" in London. It was a sign. I came home and immediately started looking for a feline companion. Having only had mice, fish, a lizard and a toad as pets when I was a child, he would be my first big responsibility as an adult pet owner. He would need a litter box, food, a bed, and lots of attention. I was ready. I bought him for a grand total of $25.  And that included bringing him back to be neutered when he was six months old. I can't remember if that was a lot of money at the time. But today, that won't even buy a bag of high end cat food. I took Mag

A Snail Space

  The hitchhiker arrived in the aquarium clinging for dear life to a plant I had bought at the pet store. I didn't see him at first; then, there he was. A small mollusk; a dark brown little slimy thing that I promptly dubbed Mr. Slimy. The tetra didn't seem to mind him; he could go about his business sucking up debris without being disturbed. It didn't take long until I noticed there was less iron buildup and residue on the walls of the aquarium. I didn't have to scrub it away weekly when I changed the water. The next time I bought some plants, I asked for some of the little snails. They are pests and they will multiply like crazy, warned the salesperson. How do snails multiply, I wondered. And then, all of a sudden, there were more and more tiny little snails. More than I had brought home. They were moving slowly, elegantly, gracefully around the tank. Some floated on the underside of the surface of the water!  How are they doing that? Then