Skip to main content

A Senior Moment

  "Would you like to use your discount today?" asked the young fellow behind the drugstore checkout counter.

I gazed at him blankly.

What discount? I thought.

Was there a special on today that I didn't know about?

Had I somehow missed a promotional sign in the store?

Was I having a senior moment?

A bout of sometimer's disease?

And then the penny dropped.

I should say the two quarters and a nickel.

The 55 Special.

Oh, yes.

The SENIOR discount.

I laughed and asked if it was that obvious.

He said not to worry, I looked fabulous!

How's that for back treading!

And what the heck.

Those senior discounts add up.

They are one small compensation for the generally unpleasant experience of getting older.

And many of those discounts start at the ripe young age of 55.

For example, if I stop in at a certain chicken restaurant on a Monday, I can get a senior discount.

When I turned 60, I attained deep discounts at many recreation programs.

And that is also the age that the Canadian Pension Plan offered me back some of the money that I have put in over the course of my working life, should I choose to take it.

By the time I hit 65, well, the discounts will know no bounds.

Travel companies and cruise lines will welcome me with open arms, and drastic deals.

Even more restaurants will offer me senior specials, although I will undoubtedly have to eat during the late afternoon.

        And the government will pick up some of the drugstore dispensing fees and dental costs, as well as offer me an Old Age Security benefit.  Woohoo!

Perhaps it is part of a sympathy ploy by society.

An appeasement of sorts offered to help with the suffering.

To make bearable the knowledge we are nearly at the ends of our proverbial ropes.

And to also help with the "fixed income" that comes with the twilight years.

I looked at the young fellow at the drugstore counter where he had checked out my items.

I thought of saying to him, how dare he, I am only 49!

But then my thriftiness got the better of me.

I said sure, please use my discount.

And, as a reward for putting my ego and pride aside, I saved 20 dollars.

Ha!

A senior moment, indeed.

A moment that would make any millennial green with envy.



Popular posts from this blog

The Bird

 He fell out of the sky one day last summer, landing at the horse barn. A tiny, bright coloured green, yellow and blue budgie. He was caught and put in a pretty cage in the tack room. And there he stayed. For days. Weeks. Months. A tiny room with a closed door so the barn cat couldn't get in. A cage with only two perches, a water dish and a seed dish. The thought was that his owner would want him back. But despite repeated and numerous attempts to find an owner, none ever showed up to claim him. Perhaps he had escaped through an open window somewhere. Perhaps he was set free intentionally. They can be noisy. I brought him a few seed sticks, where he would get some enrichment having to chew away to get to those tasty treats. I brought him a couple of hanging toys, so he would have something to do and wouldn't be lonely. And then, November came. It turned cold. The heater in the tack room was on high, but it would sometimes get overheated and t...

The Mother Mode

  "Did you bring your gloves?" I found myself involuntarily asking my senior client the other day. "It's really windy out today - don't get blown away!" I then blurted out without thinking that they are a grown-assed adult and don't need to be reminded about that! Least of all from me! I have never had children and am not a birth mother. In my 20's I yearned for children, as one does when one's hormones are in peak form. However, by the time I hit 30, I came to my senses. I had a lovely little career in broadcasting going by that time and didn't want to put that on the shelf to have children. A choice I have never regretted to this day. My maternal instincts have been satisfied doting on numerous pets, however. And more recently, some long repressed motherly instincts are rearing their lovely heads, and I find myself turning into my mother. Something they say all women do, eventually. In a good way. And now, I find I...

Busy Be

 "You always look so busy!  What exactly do you do all day?" I was asked recently. I took it as a compliment. It was meant as one. The person asking was not meaning to be offensive; just curious and interested as to what I was doing to look so occupied all the time. As I began to rhyme off my daily activities, I realized it was a lot, and yet nothing of any real consequence, at the same time. Retired from my previous "full-time" occupations as broadcast journalist and then realtor, I now busy myself with a part-time gig as a companion caregiver for seniors.  That gets me out of the house for many hours of the week, and gets me out of my head as I focus on helping others. The rest of the time is filled with volunteering duties:  helping people exercise in their homes; editing a non-profit magazine; and showing up for a program that helps seniors. In between those duties, there is a household to manage, pets to care for, things to clean, laundry to wash,...