Skip to main content

I'll Have The Kids Meal Please!

 "Is the toy for a boy or a girl?" the faceless speaker-voice asked me as I went through the drive through.

"Uh - for a girl...?" I answered, not sure what the person would think when I pulled up to the window to pickup my takeout meal - as there was no child to be seen.

I always feel a little guilty ordering the kids meals at fast food joints - especially when they come with a toy.  

But they are the only portion size I am comfortable eating.

I love the un-supersized fries, the smaller burgers, the snack sized (should be normal sized) wraps, the sides of yogurt, fruit bars, or a choice of apple slices, and a small juice or a milk.  The bright boxes or bags.  Not to mention, sometimes a toy!

And then there's the good that comes with ordering some kids meals, in that a portion of the proceeds are donated to charity.

One fast food server even asked me if I minded that it came in a brightly coloured "kids" bag.  Oh, no, I don't mind at all!  In fact, I love it, I told her!

I think it sometimes embarrasses the people I am with, however.  Especially when they are all adults.

But I soldier on.  Steadfast in my quest to not overeat at fast food restaurants.  To slake my thirst for salt and fat (and some goodness, I hope) and not feel like a bloated whale at the end of it all.

But I am worried I will be busted one day.  And told, by the young person behind the counter, that no, I CANNOT have the kids meal, because I am not a kid!

Some dine-in, sit-down restaurants clearly state on their menus that in order to have the kids meal, you must indeed, be a kid.

But thankfully, fast food restaurants have not caught onto that.

They are happy to sell a child sized, kids meal to anyone.

And thank goodness!

When will everyone realize that less is more when it comes to meal size.

When will restaurants offer a "small" sized portion, similar to when you order a coffee.  Small, medium, and large.

No more ginormous plates filled with so much food, obesity is becoming the norm.

We are a society where food addiction is becoming a trend.  Something to be turned into reality TV shows, where we sympathize and empathize with the "victim" who cannot say "no" to an entire birthday cake.

All restaurants should be offering smaller sized meals.  Lesser portions, along with that lesser price.

I understand how some restaurants don't want to serve the kids meals to adults because of the lesser price involved.

They have a business to run.  And I get that.  They don't want to be taken advantage of.

But to discriminate from serving a smaller portion size to an adult, because of the lesser price, when perhaps that adult just wants to have a smaller serving size, is wrong.

I hope and believe that the new reality will be to have the option of a smaller portion.

Thankfully, fast food restaurants don't discriminate against any adult who would like a smaller serving size.

Yet.

And I hope they never do.

Because, at the end of the day, even with all the added salt and fats and calories, the smaller portion is just that - less.

And, as always, less is more.


Popular posts from this blog

Two Cents

 Another letter came in the mail the other day. Another notification from the TD Bank regarding my father's estate. He had passed away more than two years ago, and yet these letters still arrive in the mail. After having closed everything out, completed all the required tasks of his estate, carrying out all the executrix duties that I was appointed with, this one last account keeps on keeping on. Every few months I am notified by this letter that there are $.02 cents left remaining in this RRIF account. An account that I know that I closed down and dispersed. An account that should have long ago been shuttered and done away with. But no. There it is. A constant reminder that my dad has passed away, and that there are $.02 cents left remaining in this particular RRIF account. I have tried calling and emailing the bank, to no avail. This notice persists on being mailed and delivered. And so I have come to think of it as my dad's two cents. He is still gi

Just Jump!

  The goslings weren't having any of it. There were three of them, too young to yet fly, but big enough to give their parents a hassle. The two parents, large Canadian Geese with an even larger honk, were on a mission to jump the falls at the Bolsover Lock dam. That was what they needed to do to get where they needed to go, for better food, better rest, better anything. But to do so meant taking a leap of faith. A giant leap of faith. Through a dam, and down a waterfall that could possibly, surely, crush them to death. They were, after all, just kids. With tiny bones, and fluffy feathers, not yet fully greased to withstand heavy water. Some other families had already taken the leap. What started out as a grouping of three families, was now only one. Two of the geese families had braved the potentially deadly plunge and ended up just fine on the other side. They were now enjoying a grassy lunch on a lower embankment further down the river. But not this fa

Tornado Warning

  Chester the cat hid under the bed. An appropriate place, since tornado warnings suggest covering oneself with a mattress. I grabbed Princess, the other cat, and we headed into the walk-in closet where we could watch the storm through a window. The thunder roared so long and loud outside that I wasn't sure if it was thunder or the freight train type roar of an approaching tornado. I wasn't taking any chances. The winds had picked up, as had the lightening and rain. The tornado warning on my phone had made it quite clear that something was on its way. The tornado warning on the tv cemented it. We had to take cover. No ifs, ands or buts. The skies were so dark it was like there was an eclipse. And it was only 6 o'clock on a long July evening. By 6:30 it was almost over. The winds had stopped. The rain had diminished. And the thunder had become low growls as opposed to full on roars. Perhaps we were through the worst of it. Perhaps a tornad