Skip to main content

Obsessive. Compulsive. Definitely!

 "Did you put the remote control in its proper place before you left the house?" my mother-in-law asked me as we arrived at her place for a visit.

"Yes!" I said!  

I was pleased she had asked.

She knows me only too well.

You see, I have this little ritual before I leave the house.

Not only does the remote have to be facing the TV, but it has to be parallel on the living room side table.

And not only that, but the beds have to be made, the kitchen has to be clean, the dishes put away, the litter boxes cleaned, the slippers out of sight, the floors swept, the dining room chairs aligned straightly, extending approximately six inches from the table, the towels hanging straight.

You get the picture.

I feel it is a projection of Feng Shui, the ancient oriental art of energy orientation.

There must be something to it.

The belief is that good energy swirls around order and cleanliness.

And that bad energy is brought forth by clutter and disorganization.

Thousands of years of believing in such a thing can't be wrong!

I am simply doing my part to encourage "good energy" to swirl around our home.  

My office.  

My volunteer duties.

Some people say I am a Type "A" personality.

I definitely hope that I am not.

Perhaps that stands for "Annoying."

I prefer to believe that I simply have a mild case of OCD.

I was dismayed to learn, after watching an episode of Dr. Oz, that having the urge to align things symmetrically, can be a symptom of OCD.

Obsessive compulsive disorder is the technical term.

I do not feel that I have any sort of disorder.

I simply like things in their place.  

A place for everything, and everything in its place, no?

The universe aligns when everything is aligned, yes?

Those closest to me have told me they believe my tendency to want things in their place has been heightened recently.

The flower vase on the dining table has to be centered.

The toilet seat lids have to be closed.

The shoe mats have to be perpendicular.

The shoes themselves have to be aligned and not willy-nilly.

I don't think I am asking too much.

I think that if more people were slightly more concerned about the positive flow of energy around organized objects, there might be more positive energy in the world!

Just a thought.

It makes me happy to have order.

To have everything in its place.

And I am proud to perhaps have a small "disorder" that promotes "order".

I think it is quite ironic, in fact.

As I put the dishes away.


Popular posts from this blog

Two Cents

 Another letter came in the mail the other day. Another notification from the TD Bank regarding my father's estate. He had passed away more than two years ago, and yet these letters still arrive in the mail. After having closed everything out, completed all the required tasks of his estate, carrying out all the executrix duties that I was appointed with, this one last account keeps on keeping on. Every few months I am notified by this letter that there are $.02 cents left remaining in this RRIF account. An account that I know that I closed down and dispersed. An account that should have long ago been shuttered and done away with. But no. There it is. A constant reminder that my dad has passed away, and that there are $.02 cents left remaining in this particular RRIF account. I have tried calling and emailing the bank, to no avail. This notice persists on being mailed and delivered. And so I have come to think of it as my dad's two cents. He is still gi

Just Jump!

  The goslings weren't having any of it. There were three of them, too young to yet fly, but big enough to give their parents a hassle. The two parents, large Canadian Geese with an even larger honk, were on a mission to jump the falls at the Bolsover Lock dam. That was what they needed to do to get where they needed to go, for better food, better rest, better anything. But to do so meant taking a leap of faith. A giant leap of faith. Through a dam, and down a waterfall that could possibly, surely, crush them to death. They were, after all, just kids. With tiny bones, and fluffy feathers, not yet fully greased to withstand heavy water. Some other families had already taken the leap. What started out as a grouping of three families, was now only one. Two of the geese families had braved the potentially deadly plunge and ended up just fine on the other side. They were now enjoying a grassy lunch on a lower embankment further down the river. But not this fa

Tornado Warning

  Chester the cat hid under the bed. An appropriate place, since tornado warnings suggest covering oneself with a mattress. I grabbed Princess, the other cat, and we headed into the walk-in closet where we could watch the storm through a window. The thunder roared so long and loud outside that I wasn't sure if it was thunder or the freight train type roar of an approaching tornado. I wasn't taking any chances. The winds had picked up, as had the lightening and rain. The tornado warning on my phone had made it quite clear that something was on its way. The tornado warning on the tv cemented it. We had to take cover. No ifs, ands or buts. The skies were so dark it was like there was an eclipse. And it was only 6 o'clock on a long July evening. By 6:30 it was almost over. The winds had stopped. The rain had diminished. And the thunder had become low growls as opposed to full on roars. Perhaps we were through the worst of it. Perhaps a tornad