Skip to main content

They're Not Pets, They're Weapons

  I watched as the Rottweiler crossed the road in front of our house.

And I can still remember the cold fear that shot through my body.

The neighbours across the road had let their dog out again.

Or perhaps it escaped.

I can't say I had ever seen them walk it.

So perhaps it took it upon itself to go for a walk, to do its business.

Luckily I was in my car.

And when I pulled in the driveway, I couldn't get inside the house fast enough.

I was scared.

There's no evidence that the dog was vicious, or would have attacked or bitten me.

But I had this perception, this pre-conceived stereotype notion, that it would cause some harm.

The same chill courses through me when I see people walking certain types of dogs.

Dobermans.

German Shepherds.

Pit Bulls, or American Staffordshire Terriers.

Boxers.

Cane Corsos.

I find myself asking, why?

Why have a dog, that is essentially a weapon?

To show that one can be the boss over such an aggressive creature?

To strike fear in others?

Why?

What is the point?

A friend of ours just had their beautiful, lovely dog severely attacked by a German Shepherd that was off leash.

It had to undergo expensive surgery, but will hopefully be alright.

There have been countless stories of children and adults who have been mauled and attacked and even killed by these types of dogs.

There was a recent story out of Virginia where an owner was killed and then eaten by her two pit bulls.

In some communities, the pit bull type dog is, thankfully, outright banned.

People always say, oh, it's the owner's fault.

It's the people, not the dog.

Yeah, right.

These certain types of breeds are bred to be vicious.

To attack and defend.

To protect and maim.

And yes, they are not the only types of dogs that can attack, of course.

I understand poodles are considered one of the most biting-est breeds out there.

I know that the small-ish Jack Russell Terrier has a big-dog attitude and can attack and bite as well.

I have seen two Jack Russells attempt to have their way with a horse while it was having a roll in the sand.

And I have seen a tiny Chihuahua hold its owners hostage, and even the mighty Cesar Millan, a.k.a. The Dog Whisperer, had a tough time making him mind his manners.

But the large dogs, those that are bred to kill and to fight, are another story.

I think it says alot about the people who choose to own them.

Don Cherry and Rachel Ray notwithstanding.

I think of Michael Vick, the former footballer who was charged with a fighting pit bull ring, in which many dogs fought to their death.

I was in a pet food store the other day, when a man walked in with a Cane Corso type dog, on a choke collar.

There were many other small dogs in the store, and I feared for their safety, should that dog decide to go berserk.

The man was socializing it, perhaps, but at what expense, should it decide that another dog or person was looking at it the wrong way, to provoke an attack.

I know home insurance companies will often consider these types of creatures a risk, a liability, and charge more for coverage if there is such a dog in the home.

Awareness is the best defence, I'd say.

I will continue to marvel in awe as to why these dogs are owned by people, in subdivisions, in neighbourhoods.

When I see them being walked, I will continue to cringe.

There is a famous saying, "They know not what they do."

The dogs, maybe.

The people, though, are another story.


Popular posts from this blog

Two Cents

 Another letter came in the mail the other day. Another notification from the TD Bank regarding my father's estate. He had passed away more than two years ago, and yet these letters still arrive in the mail. After having closed everything out, completed all the required tasks of his estate, carrying out all the executrix duties that I was appointed with, this one last account keeps on keeping on. Every few months I am notified by this letter that there are $.02 cents left remaining in this RRIF account. An account that I know that I closed down and dispersed. An account that should have long ago been shuttered and done away with. But no. There it is. A constant reminder that my dad has passed away, and that there are $.02 cents left remaining in this particular RRIF account. I have tried calling and emailing the bank, to no avail. This notice persists on being mailed and delivered. And so I have come to think of it as my dad's two cents. He is still gi

Just Jump!

  The goslings weren't having any of it. There were three of them, too young to yet fly, but big enough to give their parents a hassle. The two parents, large Canadian Geese with an even larger honk, were on a mission to jump the falls at the Bolsover Lock dam. That was what they needed to do to get where they needed to go, for better food, better rest, better anything. But to do so meant taking a leap of faith. A giant leap of faith. Through a dam, and down a waterfall that could possibly, surely, crush them to death. They were, after all, just kids. With tiny bones, and fluffy feathers, not yet fully greased to withstand heavy water. Some other families had already taken the leap. What started out as a grouping of three families, was now only one. Two of the geese families had braved the potentially deadly plunge and ended up just fine on the other side. They were now enjoying a grassy lunch on a lower embankment further down the river. But not this fa

Tornado Warning

  Chester the cat hid under the bed. An appropriate place, since tornado warnings suggest covering oneself with a mattress. I grabbed Princess, the other cat, and we headed into the walk-in closet where we could watch the storm through a window. The thunder roared so long and loud outside that I wasn't sure if it was thunder or the freight train type roar of an approaching tornado. I wasn't taking any chances. The winds had picked up, as had the lightening and rain. The tornado warning on my phone had made it quite clear that something was on its way. The tornado warning on the tv cemented it. We had to take cover. No ifs, ands or buts. The skies were so dark it was like there was an eclipse. And it was only 6 o'clock on a long July evening. By 6:30 it was almost over. The winds had stopped. The rain had diminished. And the thunder had become low growls as opposed to full on roars. Perhaps we were through the worst of it. Perhaps a tornad