Skip to main content

Big Bang Therapy

  Remember the one where Penny fell in the shower and Sheldon had to drive her to the hospital?

Or the episode where Sheldon got several cats to replace Amy but then ended up giving them away to kids along with $20?

Or the one where...

It doesn't really matter which episode you watch.

They are all great therapy after a really long, hard day.

Or an emotionally grueling experience.

Or you just need some mind candy for awhile to take your thoughts off things.

Great therapy.

As all the characters wend their way through their own foibles, there is always a message in there somewhere for all of us.

As Howard negotiates his overbearing mother, and frighteningly similar wife, somehow, somewhere, we can all relate a little.

And there is always a great deal of humor to get us through.

Always at someone's expense, but in the end, all is forgiven in the name of friendship.

And there's always a lesson thrown in along the way.

Either for Sheldon, as he learns to navigate the world of people.

Or for Raj, perpetually looking for love and yet perpetually single, turning to a little dog to fill the void.

It is like sitting down and voyeuristically watching a group of friends.

Reminding me of that '90's something show actually called Friends.

A bunch of people with relatable and funny problems and issues.

All dealt with in a humorous and comedic way, so as to not be too serious, but all the while hitting a little too close to home.

Hence we can all relate on some level.

Thankfully there is always a repeat episode of Big Bang Theory on somewhere, sometime, all the time.

An episode to mindlessly unwind and discharge and get in a laugh or two.

A story told with wit and comedic timing and perhaps we can all learn something as well.

About science, about psychiatry, about biology or engineering or physics.  

About getting along with people, about living with people, about dealing with family and friends.

It's a show that is easy on the mind but one that doesn't let us off so easy.

It makes us think.

It gives us a chance to laugh.

To ponder and to reflect.

Perhaps I am overthinking it.

It is just a comedy series after all.

But as one watches and becomes invested in the characters, and feeling eternally sympathetic for Stewart who is never really part of the group, one can't help but come away with a little something.

A little more hope, a little more empathy, a little more respect for the scientists of the world, who are now the cool kids on the block.

A good therapy session to mend the woes of the day.

Perhaps laughter is the best medicine.


Popular posts from this blog

The Bird

 He fell out of the sky one day last summer, landing at the horse barn. A tiny, bright coloured green, yellow and blue budgie. He was caught and put in a pretty cage in the tack room. And there he stayed. For days. Weeks. Months. A tiny room with a closed door so the barn cat couldn't get in. A cage with only two perches, a water dish and a seed dish. The thought was that his owner would want him back. But despite repeated and numerous attempts to find an owner, none ever showed up to claim him. Perhaps he had escaped through an open window somewhere. Perhaps he was set free intentionally. They can be noisy. I brought him a few seed sticks, where he would get some enrichment having to chew away to get to those tasty treats. I brought him a couple of hanging toys, so he would have something to do and wouldn't be lonely. And then, November came. It turned cold. The heater in the tack room was on high, but it would sometimes get overheated and t...

The Mother Mode

  "Did you bring your gloves?" I found myself involuntarily asking my senior client the other day. "It's really windy out today - don't get blown away!" I then blurted out without thinking that they are a grown-assed adult and don't need to be reminded about that! Least of all from me! I have never had children and am not a birth mother. In my 20's I yearned for children, as one does when one's hormones are in peak form. However, by the time I hit 30, I came to my senses. I had a lovely little career in broadcasting going by that time and didn't want to put that on the shelf to have children. A choice I have never regretted to this day. My maternal instincts have been satisfied doting on numerous pets, however. And more recently, some long repressed motherly instincts are rearing their lovely heads, and I find myself turning into my mother. Something they say all women do, eventually. In a good way. And now, I find I...

Busy Be

 "You always look so busy!  What exactly do you do all day?" I was asked recently. I took it as a compliment. It was meant as one. The person asking was not meaning to be offensive; just curious and interested as to what I was doing to look so occupied all the time. As I began to rhyme off my daily activities, I realized it was a lot, and yet nothing of any real consequence, at the same time. Retired from my previous "full-time" occupations as broadcast journalist and then realtor, I now busy myself with a part-time gig as a companion caregiver for seniors.  That gets me out of the house for many hours of the week, and gets me out of my head as I focus on helping others. The rest of the time is filled with volunteering duties:  helping people exercise in their homes; editing a non-profit magazine; and showing up for a program that helps seniors. In between those duties, there is a household to manage, pets to care for, things to clean, laundry to wash,...