Skip to main content

The Swear Jar

  I was sure my ears were bleeding.

I was sitting in the waiting area of a local mechanic shop, innocently getting a new bulb put in my left rear brake light, when the words coming from a back office hit the fan.

Fuck this, and fuck that, and fuckin', fuckin', fuckin'.

I felt assaulted.

Violated.

There I was, a paying customer, minding my own business, reading a book on my tablet, patiently waiting, when someone might as well have clobbered me on the head.

That's how shocking and disturbing it was.

I didn't say anything; just glanced up and at the woman at the reception desk.

She was nonplussed.

I guess this happens all the time.

I had heard it during a previous visit while in the same waiting area.  

Sounded like the same male voice.

Should I say anything?

I didn't.

I let it slide.

A few days later as I was entering a grocery store, some construction workers were putting up a scaffolding to do some work on the exterior.

And there it was again.

One of the workers had to throw a fuck or two in here and there, describing something which I definitely felt did not need that type of adjective.

He was a large, gruff looking fella with a big beard and hard hat; I decided he didn't need my dirty look, but I was giving it to him in my head.

Do I have the right to be offended?

Why do I feel bad for being offended?

When I worked at a certain real estate office a few years ago, I would be working in my cute little corner office, when all of a sudden a fuck this and fuck that and motherfucking everything would float down the hall and through my open door.

It happened on a regular basis; my ears pained from the unnecessary verbiage.

One time I actually went down the hall and politely asked them to please stop swearing so much, as I had clients and a child in my office.

They apologized and closed their door.

That real estate team finally, thankfully, relocated to another building.

At a Christmas party many years ago, my ears still bleed thinking about it, the wife, no less, of a former colleague was swearing up a blue streak.

A harsh, deep and loud voice, she was fucking this and fucking that and what the fucking all over the party.

It definitely fucked up the party for me.

And I get it; swearing is cool, it's the "in" thing to do.

Heck, even Taylor Swift has started using swear words in her songs.

Any show on HBO these days features it in their script; talk show hosts vent swear words on the regular.

It doesn't make it okay; it just seems to "normalize" it.

I read recently that a study found that "successful" people use profanity a lot.

Is that what makes them successful?

Does Elon Musk use swear words in his office meetings?

Oh I get that swear words certainly drive the point home; definitely get the idea across that it's "serious".

In fact, it becomes such a comfortable part of their vocabulary that it's just what it is.

My own younger brother, god rest his soul, also used profanity in his vocabulary.

A lot.

In fact, he asked me, when I was working as a news anchor at the local tv station, how I did NOT let a swear word slip out now and then when I was reading on air.

I told him it was just not "me"; I didn't use profanity in my normal, every day conversation and so it never came out on air.

But I am not completely without fault.

I too, I will admit, have let out a blue streak once in awhile.

Okay, every time I have a problem with my computer; or there's an idiot driving in front of me; or the Universe does not go my way on a particular day.

And it's not pretty.

I try to make sure I am alone; no one else is within earshot.

Although I can't always calculate that when I am working on my computer and something goes terribly wrong.

And it's not just the "F" word; there's the "C" word and the "MF" word and a few religious references and everything in between.

As I said, it's not pretty,

But it is spoken with pure rage; and I have to say it makes me feel VERY good afterwards, as if I have vented and that is THAT.

The physical feel of swearing when one is angry is just pure bliss.

And I am not denying that it sure helps get rid of those bitter cobwebs and total  frustration in a heartbeat.

It has its place, and it has its time.

And regular, ordinary, routine conversation is not it.

Especially when in public, or there are other people within earshot.

I realize it makes people feel like they are bigshots; or cool or powerful or almighty or untouchable.

When really, they are not.

They are just little, regular, small, everyday people TRYING to be a bigshot, cool or powerful.

Offending others doesn't seem to me to be the way to do that, but whatever.

What will I do the next time I hear somebody use the "F" word in a public domain?

Not sure yet.

I hope I can have the intestinal fortitude to say something; at the mechanic's shop, for instance, perhaps I can politely ask the receptionist to please ask that person to tone it down and not swear within my earshot.

I don't know.

I can't promise anything.

But I feel damn good that I have vented.


Popular posts from this blog

The Bird

 He fell out of the sky one day last summer, landing at the horse barn. A tiny, bright coloured green, yellow and blue budgie. He was caught and put in a pretty cage in the tack room. And there he stayed. For days. Weeks. Months. A tiny room with a closed door so the barn cat couldn't get in. A cage with only two perches, a water dish and a seed dish. The thought was that his owner would want him back. But despite repeated and numerous attempts to find an owner, none ever showed up to claim him. Perhaps he had escaped through an open window somewhere. Perhaps he was set free intentionally. They can be noisy. I brought him a few seed sticks, where he would get some enrichment having to chew away to get to those tasty treats. I brought him a couple of hanging toys, so he would have something to do and wouldn't be lonely. And then, November came. It turned cold. The heater in the tack room was on high, but it would sometimes get overheated and t...

The Mother Mode

  "Did you bring your gloves?" I found myself involuntarily asking my senior client the other day. "It's really windy out today - don't get blown away!" I then blurted out without thinking that they are a grown-assed adult and don't need to be reminded about that! Least of all from me! I have never had children and am not a birth mother. In my 20's I yearned for children, as one does when one's hormones are in peak form. However, by the time I hit 30, I came to my senses. I had a lovely little career in broadcasting going by that time and didn't want to put that on the shelf to have children. A choice I have never regretted to this day. My maternal instincts have been satisfied doting on numerous pets, however. And more recently, some long repressed motherly instincts are rearing their lovely heads, and I find myself turning into my mother. Something they say all women do, eventually. In a good way. And now, I find I...

From Terminator To Motivator

 Arnold Schwarzenegger is having a moment. I wouldn't call it a comeback. He never really went away. He has always been there - always pumping out movies, advice, his opinions, books, and now a tv show, a comedy action genre shot right here in Ontario. And today, as he celebrates his birthday, I have to admit, I am fan-gurling over the 78-year-old bodybuilder/actor/politician/author/activist/fitness advocate and now motivator.  I somehow stumbled across his latest book, Be Useful: Seven Tools For Life, and I had to read it. His grizzled face on the front cover, almost in a Terminator scowl, not hiding anything, his wrinkles and grey hair there for everyone to see. It is part memoir - part instruction manual to live one's best life. To contribute to society, to make good choices, to work hard and have a servant's heart. One could argue that he took his own advice, having a servant's heart, a bit too literally, after he fathered a child with the househol...